FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
HOW CAN WE HELP YOU?
Can't find the answer you're looking for? We've shared some of our most frequently asked questions to help you out.
- Who is TrueYou?
TrueYou is a state-of-the-art DNA Profiling service that allows you to discover your true potential. Our DNA test is supported by a scientific advisory board and a panel of nutrigenomic experts to help you understand your TrueYou report followed by a recommendation of a personalised health and lifestyle plan.
Gene Express is the science behind TrueYou with fully accredited laboratory facilities and processes for DNA extraction and SNP genotyping for the highest data quality. All genotyping at Gene Express uses the Asian reference population for better representation to provide greater accuracy in your genetic analysis.
- How accurate are the TrueYou genetic services?
Our protocols for saliva DNA extraction and SNP genotyping are fully accredited by Standards Malaysia with ISO/IEC 17025:2017 for the highest data quality and best laboratory practices.
Our genetic services and expert analyses are conducted by our experienced partner in the UK. With these standards in place, you can rest assured that our TrueYou reports are up to 99.9% accurate.
- How is my personal information protected?
We respect the sensitive nature of your personal information and are fully committed to securing your confidentiality. All TrueYou staff members adhere to our internal code of conduct which ensures your data can only be accessed by authorised personnel. Your personal information will never be shared without your consent.
- Is there an age restriction for using TrueYou?
TrueYou is suitable and available for everyone. However, for those under the age of 18 years, consent is required from a parent or a guardian.
- Can my TrueYou report be my only source for health advice?
No, a TrueYou health report should never replace a doctor’s medical advice or a health screening. You should always consult your doctor on all medical matters.
PURCHASING THE KIT
- How to purchase a TrueYou DNA Profiling kit?
You may purchase a TrueYou DNA Profiling kit on our website or at our Elken Headquarters or at any Elken branch, drop-off points or Elken distributor. Please visit this page for contact details and/or locations.
- What is in the TrueYou DNA Profiling kit?
The TrueYou DNA Profiling kit contains a user manual, a shipping bag and return mail form, a collection tube (with 2 ml stabilising solution), a funnel, and a sample bag.
- Can I purchase on behalf of a family member or a friend?
Yes, you can. In fact, a TrueYou DNA Profiling kit can make a great gift for birthdays, anniversaries or for a loved one’s precious child. Please note that the test kit will have to be registered with TrueYou in the respective individual’s name.
- Can I use the kit if it was given to me by someone?
Yes, all TrueYou DNA Profiling tests are transferable before they are activated. To get started, simply refer to the enclosed instructions in your kit on how to collect and return your sample for your very own TrueYou DNA Profiling test. You will need to register your saliva kit at www.trueyoudna.com so we can identify your saliva kit and your DNA report and inform you when it is ready.
- If I purchased a test kit for someone else, will I have access to their reports?
No, as the kit will be registered under the respective individual’s name and email address. Only the person whose genes are being analysed will be given access to their results.
- Can I use any of the genetic services offered if I am pregnant?
Yes, you can try any of the TrueYou genetic services as they are non-invasive. It will not affect your pregnancy because only a sample of your saliva is needed.
- When does the kit expire?
The kit has a shelf life of 3 years with proper storage conditions so you can use it any time before the expiry date. We recommend that you collect your saliva sample as soon as you’ve completed the registration with TrueYou to get your report early.
- I am not living in Malaysia, can I still purchase the TrueYou DNA Profiling kit?
Yes. However, you can only purchase a TrueYou DNA Profiling kit within Malaysia, Singapore, or Brunei.
REGISTERING YOUR KIT
- How to create a TrueYou account?
Once you receive your DNA Profiling kit, please download the TrueYou mobile app from Google Play or Apple AppStore and create an account using your email address to register your kit.
- How do I register my TrueYou DNA Profiling test kit?
After creating your TrueYou account at www.trueyoudna.com, you may log in at any time to register your kit. You can also monitor the status of your test and view your report when it is ready.
Registering your kit links your saliva sample to the barcode. This will enable us to trace ownership. You can find the barcode both on the return sample tube and on your collection kit.
After activating your kit and registering the barcode, we can process your DNA sample and identify your DNA sample to generate your personalised TrueYou results for you.
- Can multiple kits be activated under the same TrueYou account?
No, as each kit has its own dedicated barcode that needs to be registered under each individual’s name and email address when setting up a TrueYou account.
- What should I do if I am unable to register my TrueYou DNA Profiling test kit after several attempts?
If that happens when you are in the process of registering your kit, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and provide details about the error and include a screenshot of the error page.
SALIVA SAMPLE COLLECTION
- How do I collect my DNA sample?
TrueYou DNA Profiling test kits are easy and convenient to use. You can find the detailed instructions in the user manual for each kit.
If your order contains more than one kit, please make sure that each individual collects his/her DNA sample using the collection kit they have registered or intend to register.
The sample collection process is simple and you can provide your DNA under various health circumstances, including while you are sick, while you are on common medication, or while you are pregnant.
- Is there a right time to do the saliva collection?
As long as you avoid eating, drinking, chewing gum, smoking, or using a mouthwash within the last 30 minutes, you can collect your saliva sample at any time. This is to prevent contamination that may cause inaccurate results.
- How long will the saliva samples be good after I collect them?
After the samples are collected, they will be good for at least 3 years with proper storage and handling at room temperature. We strongly recommend that you send your saliva samples to the laboratory immediately after collection.
- After collecting my DNA sample, what are my delivery options?
You may drop it off at our Elken Headquarters, or at any Elken branch, drop-off points, or Elken distributor. The customer service personnel will be happy to assist you.
Alternatively, you may also schedule a pick-up service online here. Our appointed courier company, City-Link Express, will then contact you to schedule a pick-up time.
- How do I track the delivery status?
Tracking can be done easily once you have registered your saliva collection kit. Just click on the “Delivery Status” tab under My Account to check your kit’s delivery status.
- How long does delivery take?
City-Link Express takes 3-7 working days from Monday to Friday to make a delivery.
RECEIVING YOUR TRUEYOU REPORT
- What happens after TrueYou receives my saliva sample?
The laboratory will process and decode your sample. Once completed, our panel of expert scientists will further analyse the results and prepare your report. We will notify you when your report is ready so you can view it at www.trueyoudna.com.
- How do I view my TrueYou report?
You may view your report by logging onto www.trueyoudna.com or download the TrueYou mobile app from Google Play or Apple AppStore to access your TrueYou report.
- Do I get a hardcopy of my report?
No, we currently only provide a softcopy of your report at www.trueyoudna.com or on the TrueYou mobile app at Google Play or Apple AppStore.
- Can I share the results with my doctor?
Yes, you can share the results with your doctor if you have any concerns about any risk for inheritable conditions such as cancer or sensitivity so you can create an actionable plan with them.
- Who will have access to my TrueYou report?
Your saliva collection kit is marked with a unique barcode, which you are required to link to your account during registration.
During the analysis phase, the barcode, which has no personal information attached to it, is the only link which ties your sample to your account. This means that none of the scientists who process your DNA have access to your account and your personal information.
Furthermore, your results can only be accessed via your TrueYou account at www.trueyoudna.com. It is only when you wish to consult with one of our nutrigenomics consultants that he/she is given access to your file.
- What language is my TrueYou report available in?
Your TrueYou report will be available in the English language only.
DEFECTIVE / FAULTY TEST KITS
- What if the TrueYou DNA Profiling test kit I received is faulty or defective?
If the test kit you received is faulty or defective, please contact us via this link immediately and we will help you get a replacement test kit. Take note that terms and conditions apply.
- What if I lose my TrueYou DNA Profiling test kit or accidentally damage it?
If you have lost your DNA test kit or have accidentally damaged it, please contact our Customer Service at email@example.com and they will be happy to assist you.
- How do I return a faulty or defective DNA Profiling test kit?
If the test kit you received is damaged, please follow these steps to exchange it for a new one:
- Notify our customer service within three (3) business days of purchasing or receiving the kit. You will be instructed to take your damaged kit to our Elken Headquarters or any Elken branch, drop-off points or Elken distributor. The Elken customer service representative will inspect the damage.
- Upon confirming that the damage is due to Elken or its delivery partner, you may return the affected kit, original carton and your copy of the Credit Note (CN). You will then be given a new collection kit.
- Please take note that Elken reserves the right to reject the exchange if the original carton and your copy of the CN is not available.
- What if I have changed my mind? Can I return the saliva collection kit?
If you decide not to continue with your test, you may return the DNA Profiling test kit – in good condition, i.e. unopened, unaltered and unexpired – for a full refund.
You will need to provide a written reason for the return or exchange and include a copy of the Customer Order Receipt. Upon receiving an acknowledgement from TrueYou, you may return the kit or exchange the faulty kit for a new one at our Elken Headquarters, or at any Elken branch, drop-off points or Elken distributor.
Please attach the following at the time of return:
- Product Return Form (attached with written reasons for return)
- Copy of Invoice/Cash Order and Customer Order Receipt
Please note that you have 90 days from the date of purchase to return or exchange your DNA Profiling test kit. This guarantee applies to purchases made through the TrueYou official website and/or from registered members. Expired or products damaged as a result of negligence, misuse, mishandling or unauthorised modification will not be accepted.
FAILURE TO PROCESS SALIVA SAMPLE
- Why might the laboratory be unable to process my saliva sample?
This usually happens when the DNA cannot be extracted due to contamination or the amount of viable DNA is too small. These are just two of many other reasons.
- What should I do if my saliva sample cannot be processed?
We will contact you and arrange for you to pick up a replacement DNA Profiling test kit. Whatever caused the failure, you will not be required to pay any additional cost. However, some terms and conditions will still apply.
- What is in the product recommendation report?
The product recommendation report is a carefully crafted report with a recommendation of the Elken MRT products that are suitable for you based on your DNA report. It is a guide for you to prioritise the products based on your genotype and risk factors.
- How can I benefit from the product recommendation report?
The Genetic Action Plan has the most immediate steps you can take to influence your health condition. Click on the link of a product recommended in the application under the Genetic Action Plan to find out more about the products.
The transformation of habits and lifestyle towards health and wellbeing takes time, discipline and persistence. Start small and in time, you will see how it can change your health in the long run.